Saturday, April 3, 2010

#3
VOLTRON Star Shooter 110


Its as if two of the best things known to man have combined, forming the eighth wonder of the world! The Voltron Star Shooter was loaned to me by fellow photographer and BFF, Will Arnold. You can find his awesome work on his site and on his flickr.

Everything you need to know about this camera can be gathered by a quick glance. Its awesome.


But let's get down to the specs. It takes 110 film, so it obviously contains all the controls of a classic 110 camera: shutter and film advance. That's it. You also might think by its great look that it has two lenses. Nope. The big lens fools you into thinking 'is this an SLR?' No sir. Its just for looks. In stark contrast to the real Voltron, a demigod made up of different multi-colored human-driven war vehicles and incarnated only to destroy major enemies. And yes, the camera folds up into a classic SLR-style camera. Although, it is pretty great to walk around town with a robot camera strapped to your neck. Notice: I put the word 'robot' in front of the word 'camera' because it is first a robot.


The camera definitely has difficulty in low light or near low light situations, its obvious fixed shutter speed being the culprit. I also used Fuji 200 in the camera, and I definitely think it would have benefited from Kodak 400 to give me some better shots.


So yes, I must admit, it is just a regular 110 with some flashy bits attached. But to be honest, those flashy bits are AMAZING. In reality I wish all cameras looked more like robots. Robot transformers who will kill anyone who dare question why I'm using such a seemingly crappy camera.


But the Voltron is a collectible. They are extremely rare, and I'm so excited to have had the chance to shoot through this camera and add it to the loan project. If you want a little more information about the camera itself, check it out on camerapedia.

To see more of my work, check out my flickr!

And of course, keep the cameras coming! Email me at tatemillerton@yahoo.com to setup a loan!

No comments:

Post a Comment